After completing this lesson, you should be able to accomplish the following objectives:
- Describe what operations managers do and how they contribute to the efficient operation of both service and production organizations.
- Conduct critical measurements of productivity improvement.
- Operations Management, Chapter 1 (pages 1–19)
- "Operations Management at Hard Rock" video (running time 9:23):
This interactive or video content is only available online. This streaming video is titled "Operations Management at Hard Rock" and runs for 9:23.
If you are reading this text online, this content is not loading properly. Check to see that:
- Adobe Flash Player is installed for your Web browser:
Click here for a transcript of the "Operations Management at Hard Rock" video.
Beginning on page 21 in your textbook, problems 1.2, 1.6, 1.8, and 1.10 are excellent examples of how the tools learned in this chapter can be applied to real-world problems. The answers to these practice problems are in Appendix V beginning on page A8.
When you can accomplish the learning objectives for this lesson, you should complete the Lesson 1 Progress Evaluation covering this material. This progress evaluation is composed of 10 multiple-choice questions worth 1 point each, for a total of 10 possible points. You may use any assigned readings, your notes, and other course-related materials to answer the questions.
Preview an Assignment